ESA Data User Element > GlobCover
Welcome to the European Space Agency GlobCover Portal
The GlobCover Portal provides access to the results of the GlobCover project.
GlobCover is an ESA initiative which began in 2005 in partnership with JRC, EEA, FAO, UNEP, GOFC-GOLD and IGBP. The aim of the project was to develop a service capable of delivering global composites and land cover maps using as input observations from the 300m MERIS sensor on board the ENVISAT satellite mission. ESA makes available the land cover maps, which cover 2 periods: December 2004 - June 2006 and January - December 2009.
Please see below the links to download the products.
GlobCover Land Cover Maps
Use the links below to download the map.
GlobCover 2009 (Global Land Cover Map) RELEASED ON 21st December 2010
Here you can find:
1) The zip file Globcover2009_V2.3_Global_.zip (information can be found in the Globcover2009_ReadMe.pdf which is included),
2) Updated Product Description and Validation Report (files/GLOBCOVER2009_Validation_Report_2.2.pdf)
3) A coloured version of the map in GeoTIFF format (CLICK HERE)
The GlobCover products have been processed by ESA and by the Université Catholique de Louvain. They are made available to the public by ESA. You may use the GlobCover land cover map for educational and/or scientific purposes, without any fee on the condition that you credit ESA and the Université Catholique de Louvain as the source of the GlobCover products:
Copyright notice: © ESA 2010 and UCLouvain
If you wish to use the GlobCover 2009 products in advertising or in any commercial promotion, you shall acknowledge the ESA GlobCover 2009 Project and you must submit the layout to ESA for approval beforehand (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Global Land Cover Product (2005-06):
Here you can find:
1) The zip file Globcover_V2.2_Global.zip (information can be found in the Globcover_ReadMe.pdf which is included),
2) The link to the web page for the download of the Regional land cover products (Globcover 200412 200606 V2.2 Region)
3) Product Description and Validation Report (GLOBCOVER_Product_Description_Validation_Report_I2.1.1.pdf)
The Globcover 2005 products are made available to the public by the POSTEL Service Centre with the agreement of ESA.
The Globcover 2005 products are available through two access points:
Copyright notices: Source Data: © ESA / ESA Globcover 2005 Project, led by MEDIAS-France/POSTEL
If you wish to use the Globcover 2005 products in advertising or in any commercial promotion, you shall acknowledge ESA and the ESA Globcover 2005 Project, led by MEDIAS France and you must submit the layout to ESA for approval beforehand (email@example.com).